After a medical procedure or hospitalization, the words we look forward to hearing most are, “Here are your discharge papers – you are able to head home now!” What a feeling of relief there is in coming through the front door, sinking into a favorite chair, and unwinding.
Yet there are often a variety of tasks necessary for proper healing and recovery and to prevent a re-hospitalization. For older adults who live alone, and even for anyone with family support, it can be overwhelming to go through all the post-hospitalization guidelines, make follow-up appointments, pick up prescriptions, adapt to any needed dietary or lifestyle changes, and more.
This is where a professional home care agency, like Anthem Home Care, providers of top-rated elderly care in Corpus Christi and the surrounding areas, is invaluable. Our transitional home care assistance can start even before discharge to make sure every significant detail will be addressed. Dealing with the hospital’s care team, we can create and put into action a recovery plan to include:
- Scheduling follow-up appointments
- Preparing a list of medications, along with any dietary restrictions and/or allergies
- Ensuring the pantry and fridge are stocked with healthy foods
- Establishing physical activity routines
- Arranging for any necessary medical equipment to be delivered to the home
- Outlining any potential medical issues and side effects
After discharge, we are able to:
- Provide safe transportation home from the hospital (and to any follow-up medical appointments or procedures)
- Pick up any prescriptions and ensure they are taken exactly as prescribed
- Plan and prepare meals
- Assist with showers, getting dressed, using the toilet, etc.
- Offer companionship for conversations, card games, puzzles, and other enjoyable activities
- Watch for and report any changes in condition or potential medication side effects
- Take care of light household chores and laundry
- Provide support with walking to avoid falls
- Connect the senior with other local helpful resources
- And a lot more
With the assistance of the highly skilled and compassionate care staff at Anthem Home Care, seniors are able to reduce the stress that naturally accompanies a hospitalization and concentrate on acquiring the rest needed to recover. Not just that, but it allows senior loved ones to avoid a stay in a rehab facility in order to recover where they’re most comfortable: in the home.
If a cherished older adult is facing a planned surgery, give us a call. We would be pleased to come visit the senior in the home and start to formulate a plan to ensure a smooth transition home again. We can also perform a home safety evaluation and provide tips for any changes needed to prevent falls – a frequent and hazardous occurrence after a hospitalization.
Get in touch with Anthem Home Care, the leaders in elderly care in Corpus Christi and the surrounding communities, for assistance any time at 361-643-2323. We’re here for you, before, during, and after a hospital stay with all levels of transitional home care.