“I’m going to force myself to run three miles every day.”
“I’m going to clean the bathrooms more often.”
“I’m going to eat more celery and less chocolate.”
Do your New Year’s resolutions feel more like punishment than positivity? If that’s the case, resolve to make 2024 the year you set some goals you will look forward to keeping! If you need a little inspiration to get started, consider the following:
Positive Goals for Caregivers in 2024
- Care for yourself. You spend a great deal time taking care of others. Set aside time each day to do something kind, just for you. This could be as simple as a bubble bath before bed, a quick run to a favorite coffee shop, or designated time each day to curl up under a cozy quilt and read.
- Strive to find the bright side. There are certainly challenges and difficulties with caring for an older family member. Yet there is also an abundance of positives to focus on instead. Rather than fret about the bad weather that changed your plans, settle in to watch some home movies and reminisce over a cup of comforting cocoa.
- Take notice of your inner dialogue. Nip any self-directed words of negativity in the bud. If you realize you are silently berating yourself for losing your patience, stop and remind yourself that you are a loving, selfless, and devoted family caregiver for the person you are caring for. Because of you, they are able to continue living at home and enjoy the best possible quality of life. Think about how you would encourage a friend in your shoes, and turn that encouragement inward.
- Let go of the things you cannot control. So much of the time we spend worrying is the result of things that are beyond our control. Give yourself permission to step back and remind yourself that you are human, and there will be situations you cannot resolve and problems you cannot fix.
- Accept help. Let this be the year that you realize caring for someone you love is a job that is much more effective when shared. Let loved ones and close friends know that you’d like some support, and allow them to step in to help with laundry, meals, housework, running errands—whatever would alleviate stress and allow you to achieve a healthier life balance.
At Anthem Home Care, we are here to help make these and any other positive goals for caregivers a real possibility! Our caregivers are fully trained and experienced in a wide variety of care needs, and can partner with you to:
- Plan and prepare nutritious, delicious meals
- Pick up groceries and run any other errands as needed
- Provide transportation and accompaniment to medical appointments and procedures or fun outings
- Offer friendly companionship for an older loved one, including engaging conversations, games, puzzles, hobbies, exercise, and more
- Help with laundry, light housekeeping, changing bed linens, etc.
- And much more
From the Anthem Home Care family to yours, Happy Holidays and all the best in the new year!