November is Diabetes Awareness Month, and with more than 130 million Americans diagnosed with the disease, it is likely you know someone or maybe even are part of this group. Whether you’re new to caring for someone with diabetes or a seasoned veteran, there’s always something new to learn to improve diabetes management.
These tips are simple to implement and will make a world of difference in keeping diabetes in check.
What Steps Can You Take to Improve Life With Diabetes?
- Manage meds. A pill organizer or medication reminder services from an Anthem Home Care caregiver will help ensure meds are taken exactly as prescribed. Remember to stay on top of ordering prescription refills before running too low. Keep a list of all medications being taken, including the dosages and when each is taken. It is important to share this information with all of the person’s doctors and specialists, to avoid any contraindications from new or changed prescriptions.
- Stay active. Exercise is another key element of keeping blood sugar levels regulated. Speak with the physician for a suggested fitness plan, and be sure the individual exercises within one hour or so after eating, so blood sugar levels are not too low. If attending an exercise class outside of the home, be sure to bring along water, glucose tablets, and snacks that are rich in carbs in the event of an emergency.
- Relieve stress. Elevated stress can result in elevated blood sugar levels. When caring for a loved one with diabetes, incorporate plenty of calming activities throughout each day: taking a warm bath, reading, engaging in enjoyable hobbies and pastimes, listening to favorite music, etc.
- Get a medical ID bracelet. Wearing a bracelet or necklace that indicates the person has diabetes will ensure the right level of attention in the event of an emergency.
- Partner with a professional. Taking care of a person with diabetes is a complex undertaking. A caregiver from Anthem Home Care can help ensure all of a person’s care needs are met at all times, ensuring you can take the breaks from care that you need for your own overall health.
How Can Home Care Help Enhance Diabetes Management?
Our care professionals are highly trained and experienced in caring for those with diabetes, through services such as:
- Grocery shopping, picking up prescriptions, and other errands
- Preparing wholesome, diabetic-friendly meals
- Offering friendly companionship to brighten each day
- Providing support with walking and transfers as needed to prevent a fall
- Providing safe transportation and accompaniment to doctors’ appointments, medical tests and procedures, etc.
- Watching for any indications of complications and reporting them immediately
- Assisting with hygiene and personal care
- And so much more
Contact us any time at 361-643-2323 for more information about our in-home care for someone you love with diabetes or any other health issue. We are here to make life safer, more comfortable, and much more enjoyable, while promoting independence. Our services are available in Portland, Aransas Pass, and Ingleside, and the surrounding areas. Visit our Service Area page to find out if our award-winning in-home care services are available in your community.