Is there anything better after the long, cold winter than finally having the ability to open up the windows and let the clean, warm, springtime breezes drift through your house? Something in the sights, scents, and sounds of nature provides us a powerful pick-me-up, which is why it is fully essential for older adults to continue going outside and enjoying nature as much as possible. As providers of the best senior care Rockport and the surrounding area has to offer, Anthem Home Care wants you to know how seniors can benefit from being outside.
Of distinct benefit to older adults are environments that are green and “blue” (those that consist of still or running water). Per Jessica Finlay, a PhD candidate in geography and gerontology at the University of Minnesota and head researcher in a current study of 65 – 86-year-olds, “We discovered how a relatively mundane experience, such as hearing the sound of water or a bee buzzing among flowers, can have a tremendous impact on overall health. Accessibility to everyday green and blue spaces encourages seniors to simply get out the door. This in turn motivates them to be active physically, spiritually, and socially, which can offset illness, disability, and isolation.”
Experiment with the examples listed below to ensure senior loved ones have the ability to make the most of investigating and engaging in the natural world around them:
- Invite your loved one to outings at local parks, most especially the ones that include a body of water, even when it’s something as simple as a small koi pond or water fountain.
- Help the senior loved one assemble and maintain a small container garden of whatever is of interest – a well-liked type of flower, a variety of easy-to-grow vegetables, or even a small bonsai tree.
- For anyone with dementia, supply opportunities for sensory stimulation using natural elements. For example: sand, potting soil, grass, leaves, water, etc. Simply place containers of several materials on a picnic table outdoors and allow the senior to investigate.
- Visit a playground to allow for the additional joy of hearing children’s laughter, coupled with the sounds of birds and rustling leaves.
- Put in place a specific area on the front porch or in a shaded part of the yard that includes comfortable seating, and then make it an everyday routine, when weather allows, to sit and have discussions, read books, and savor some good fresh fruit or a picnic lunch together.
Contact Anthem Home Care, providers of the best senior care Rockport and the surrounding area has to offer, for more senior-friendly strategies for experiencing nature, and for a companion to supply transportation and accompaniment to engaging outdoor activities and functions. Our customized care services make sure that seniors maintain the highest possible well-being all the time, relieving loneliness and isolation and offering the support necessary to remain active and engaged.
No matter if the need is for just a few hours weekly, around-the-clock care, or anything in between, contact us now at 361.643.2323 to ask about a complimentary in-home assessment and take the first step towards improving health and wellness for a senior loved one today!