We either love them or avoid them, but whatever our stance on New Year’s resolutions, there’s something incredibly energizing about moving into a brand new year, providing us with a new slate and the opportunity to make any changes we desire to improve wellbeing or even accomplish a completely new goal or dream.
For family caregivers, setting realistic resolutions can be especially important, as they impact not only the caregivers themselves, but their senior loved ones. It is important, nonetheless, to keep resolutions sensible. Resolving, for instance, to get a full eight hours of sleep nightly, while caring for a senior loved one who has problems with sundowning issues in Alzheimer’s, might be setting yourself up for disappointment.
- I will reach out for help and support, and accept help when offered.
- I grant myself permission to say “no” to requests in order to avoid undertaking more than I’m able to comfortably manage.
- I will make my personal health (both physical and mental) a top priority, making sure that I plan and keep medical-related checkups and appointments.
- I will remind myself that self-care is not at all selfish, and that by taking care of myself, it’s possible to take greater care of my loved one.
- I will observe my energy levels, and take the appropriate steps in order to avoid allowing myself to reach the point of exhaustion, burnout, or depression.
If even the mere thought of accomplishing any one of these goals feels too lofty to take into consideration, we’ve got a solution! Partner with Anthem Home Care for highly trained, in-home respite care on a routine schedule, permitting yourself essential time away from fulfilling the care needs of your family member, while knowing she or he will get a number of benefits as well, such as improved socialization through the companionship of a trained, knowledgeable, and thoughtful caregiver.
Beginning with a complimentary in-home consultation, we will listen to the unique requirements and challenges of your loved one, and produce an individualized plan of care to fulfill those needs, through a number of services such as:
- Help with personal hygiene, dressing, ambulation and transfers
- Running errands, such as grocery shopping and picking up prescriptions
- Supported transportation to medical appointments and pleasant outings
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Meal planning and prep, with respect to any prescribed dietary plans
- Engagement in conversations, reminiscing, games, exercise, and other pastimes which are appealing to the senior loved one
- And many others
Connect with the leaders in senior care and memory care in Corpus Christi and the surrounding areas at Anthem Home Care by calling 361-643-2323 today, and take the first step towards attaining your goals in the new year!
From all of us at Anthem Home Care, we wish you happy holidays and all the best in the year to come!