You have just found out that Dad will need knee replacement surgery. You have heard bits and pieces of what this could involve from other family members, but are you truly prepared to help him get ready for the surgery and heal safely and fully afterwards?
Millions of people undergo joint replacement surgery each year. The good news is that though it can be frightening to face, the resulting relief from pain and typically quick recovery will soon have your loved one back on their feet.
Preparing for Joint Replacement Surgery
It can feel overwhelming to attempt to absorb all of the information the doctor will give you prior to the procedure. The simplest way to make sure you have all of the information you need is by making a list of questions you want the physician to answer. Even this step can feel stressful, however, but never fear – our care team has put together a list of frequently asked questions for you!
Copy any relevant questions from the list below, and then add in any others you might have:
- Is it beneficial to practice walking with a cane or walker prior to the procedure?
- How long will the surgery last?
- How much pain should be expected following the surgery, and what types of pain relief are available?
- What are the risks of knee replacement surgery?
- What results can be expected for someone of my parent’s age and with their particular health problems?
- When can regular activities be resumed?
- Is it recommended that my loved one lose weight or make some other changes in lifestyle?
- Are there any preparations we should make to the home for a safer recovery?
- Will it be necessary to go to a rehab facility for recovery, or can he recover at home with help?
- What type of supplies or medical equipment will be helpful?
- How long is the typical hospital stay?
- What specific instructions are there for the day of the surgery?
- What exercises can be implemented now to strengthen muscles?
- What sort of anesthesia is normally used, and are there options available?
- How soon will my loved one be able to shower?
- Are there any medications that should be started or stopped prior to the procedure?
Recovering After Joint Replacement Surgery
Making a plan now for a loved one’s recovery can make the transition home from the hospital smoother and easier. At Anthem Home Care, we are here to help with post-surgical home care services that relieve some of the stress surrounding a hospitalization. For instance, we are able to:
- Prepare nutritious meals
- Monitor for changes in condition or medication side effects and report them immediately
- Encourage participation in physician-approved exercise and provide transportation to physical therapy appointments
- Offer companionship for conversations and enjoyable pastimes during recovery
- Assist with transfers and mobility, showers/baths, and other personal care needs to reduce the risk of a fall
- Provide transportation and accompaniment to and from the hospital
- Take care of light housekeeping and laundry
- Take care of picking up groceries and prescriptions and run any other errands needed
- Provide medication reminders so meds are taken just as prescribed
- And more
You can reach us any time at 361-643-2323 or online for more information about how we can ease a surgical procedure, before, during, and after, for someone you love. Our services are available throughout Taft, Portland, Ingleside, as well as the surrounding areas. Visit our Service Area page to see if we’re available to assist in your location.