Do you ever wake up and realize, from the time you got out of bed, that it was going to be “one of those days?” Maybe you slept through your alarm, tripped over the dog, and then remembered you were out of coffee. These small nuisances, however, pale in comparison to what over half of all adults in the United States are facing every day: life with a chronic health condition.
Whether it’s diabetes, cancer, cardiovascular disease, dementia, or any one of a number of other serious and debilitating health problems, chronic health care management can make it a struggle to simply get through a day-to-day routine. And not surprisingly, these challenges can make it tough to maintain an optimistic outlook on life.
Anthem Home Care’s award-winning senior care in Rockport and nearby areas is able to assist in both of these areas. We provide hands-on support with all the daily tasks that can become overwhelming, along with emotional support.
Making Activities of Daily Living Easier to Manage
Think through your own day-to-day routine when you’re at home:
- A morning shower
- Preparing breakfast
- Making the bed
- Taking care of laundry
- Dusting and cleaning the house
- Fixing lunch
- Paying bills
- Running to the market and other errands
- Organizing a closet
- Planning and making dinner
- Cleaning up again!
- Preparing for bed
Now just imagine trying to accomplish all of those tasks while impacted by the side effects of chemotherapy; or in the midst of cognitive decline; or while pulling around an oxygen tank. An in-home caregiver can help with these along with other routine but necessary tasks, freeing up time and energy for the senior to relax and participate in enjoyable pastimes.
Lifting an Older Adult’s Spirits
It’s extremely common for an individual battling a chronic health concern to find it difficult to maintain a life of joy and also to fend off depression. Our caregivers provide friendly companionship that lets seniors know they’re cared for. Through conversations, exercise programs, participating in interests and hobbies, and just being there to listen when life feels discouraging, a caregiving companion brings a breath of fresh air into everyday life.
In addition, the following advice can help someone with chronic health conditions to feel hopeful and positive:
- Find a sense of purpose. Having purpose in life is essential to our wellbeing. It’s a matter of helping a senior discover what she or he is passionate about and pursuing that interest. Get creative in brainstorming ideas or ways to make life more meaningful: serving others, learning something new, creating a video to document his or her family history or life lessons to pass along to a future generation.
- Find reasons to be thankful. A very easy but effective way to increase positivity is through journaling. Encourage the older adult to start off each day by listing a number of things he or she is grateful for: the scent of fresh blueberry muffins baking, the beauty of the sunrise, a planned lunch date with a good friend.
- Find activities outside of the home. When possible, help the senior enjoy life away from home: a hair or nail appointment, a shopping trip, a visit with friends and family. Even a short walk or time spent on the front porch can be helpful.
Learn More Ways Home Care Can Help
Give Anthem Home Care a call any time at 361-643-2323 for more chronic health condition management tips. We would also love to come and meet with you in the comfort of your home to discuss additional ways that our caregivers can make each day the best it can be for seniors at home. To learn more about the difference our award-winning senior care in Rockport can make for a senior you love, reach out to us today. For a full list of the communities we serve, please visit our Service Area page.