As we age, aging skin issues are common. The skin becomes thinner and drier, may develop wrinkles, creases, and age spots, and bruises easier. Yet a little extra TLC for senior skin can make a difference towards keeping it more radiant and healthy. Try these guidelines from our experts in home care in Port Aransas and the surrounding area:
- Change up the bathing routine. Trading in long, hot baths for a 10-minute shower or warm-water bath and switching bar soap with a more gentle cleanser are good places to begin in taking care of aging skin. Transitioning from showering or bathing every single day to every other day for seniors will further protect the skin. Regularly follow up with a fragrance-free moisturizer, but steer clear of bath oils, which could boost the risk for a fall.
- Protect from the sun when outside. Spring is a good chance to get outside together with your senior loved one; however, see to it that you cover your skin with sunscreen (at least SPF 30), seek out the shade, and supply a hat for additional protection against the sun’s rays.
- Boost humidity when inside. Dry air commonly leads to dry skin. When heating or A/C are operating in the home, use a humidifier also. Test humidity levels with a hydrometer (available at your neighborhood hardware or home improvement store), and aim for a reading of somewhere between 45 and 60 percent.
- Safeguard working hands. If your senior loved one takes pleasure in helping with household chores or gardening, be certain he/she wears gloves in order to safeguard the hands against any harsh chemicals that may irritate or hurt the skin.
- Check for skin cancer. Ensure your loved one goes to the dermatologist at least yearly to be checked for skin cancer, because the risk increases with age. In between appointments, examine any spots or moles on the skin regularly, and inform the dermatologist of any alterations in color, size, or shape to existing spots or moles. The doctor can also help establish a strategy to handle other skin conditions your senior loved one is being affected by. To locate a dermatologist near you, search the American Academy of Dermatology’s database .
Anthem Home Care’s providers of top-rated home care in Port Aransas and the surrounding areas are highly trained in helping seniors maintain optimal health and wellness, from head to toe! Just a few of the various ways we are able to help include:
- Senior transportation and accompaniment to checkups and medical procedures
- Making certain seniors stay hydrated
- Cooking healthy, nutritious meals
- Providing bathing/showering assistance
- Helping with housework and laundry
- Encouraging physical activity and exercise
- Offering pleasant companionship for seniors
- And so much more
Reach out to the specialists in senior care at Anthem Home Care by calling 361.643.2323 any time to let us know how we can assist and to learn more about our services. We provide home care Port Aransas seniors and those in nearby areas can count on, offering you and your loved one compassionate care and peace of mind in the familiarity of home. We look forward to hearing from you!