Did you know for every single pound of weight we lose, we alleviate four pounds of pressure from our knees, and as many as six pounds from our hips? This is great incentive for everybody to stay active, regardless of age! In particular for the elderly, however, who are predisposed to joint pain from arthritis as well as other conditions of aging, introducing an exercise program into the daily routine can certainly make a large difference in lessening discomfort and improving senior joint health.
- Start off with a warm-up. Right before exercising, seniors should always start out with gentle bending and stretching moves; for example, reaching up overhead, bending down and touching the toes (or as close as possible without causing discomfort), side bends, and moving the arms in slow, wide circles.
- Swim a lap or two. Swimming is a wonderful low-impact aerobic fitness exercise, and simply being in the water is particularly relaxing for both the mind and the body, as well. Search for a senior swim class, or alternatively go along with the senior and swim a couple of laps at his or her own pace.
- Get in some resistance training. Weight lifting can be done anytime and anywhere and at almost every level of fitness. Resistance bands, hand weights or even bottles of water are perfect for building upper body strength. The senior should start off light and gradually work up to an elevated difficulty level – again, with recommendations from the physician.
- Take a hike. There’s nothing quite as invigorating and energizing as going on a walk outdoors, when weather permits. Walking through the neighborhood gives the additional benefit of socializing with neighbors on the way; or choose a wooded trail to enjoy the quiet beauty of nature.
- Try something new. Consult with the local senior center or gym to find a course the senior might want to try, such as yoga or tai chi. Sign up for the class together and get the added benefit of making some fun new memories with your loved one!
At Anthem Home Care, one of the best home health agencies Corpus Christi, Texas and the surrounding area, it’s always our desire to help seniors enjoy life to the fullest, and also to stay as active and engaged as possible – improving both physical and emotional wellbeing. We’re always available to provide transportation and accompaniment to workout courses or any other activities of great interest in Corpus Christi and the surrounding areas. Reach out via our online contact form or call us at 361.643.2323 to take the initial step in helping a senior loved one achieve a healthier and happier quality of life!